Projects in Applied Economics for High School Students is a free program designed for high school students who wish to gain a deeper understanding of economics, learn and apply research methodology and pursue their own research interests supervised by experienced academics. Working language is English.
In 12 weeks you will:
- Learn the basics of economics and research methods (week 1 – 6)
- Pursue a research project based on obtained real data (week 7 – 10)
- Receive a presentation skills workshop (week 11)
- Present your research results and get feedback on your work (week 12)
In the first half of the program a group of 25 – 30 students will learn the economics basics and methodology. In the second half students will be divided into small groups (about 5 students) focused on particular topics based on their interest; using real data sets to pursue their own research in collaboration with a supervisor. When their research is finished, the Academic Skills Center of CERGE-EI will provide a presentation skills workshop, including consultation and feedback on their materials. The program concludes with each group presenting their research results and discussing them. The best group will be awarded a valuable prize.
Who is it for?
- Students within the last three years of high school (2nd-4th year of 4 year high school/ 4th-6th year of 6 year high school/ 6th-8th year of 8 year high school), aged 19 or younger
- Eager to learn research methods and pursue their own research
- Strong in Mathematics (no specific knowledge of mathematics is required, however some basics are necessary and ability to comprehend new concepts will help enable you to use it in your own research)
- Fluent in English
What topics can you research, who are the lecturers and tutors?
You will have the opportunity to pursue research in diverse areas of economics using a range of methods (click on a title for more details). The research projects follow research of tutors and researches, who are advanced CERGE-EI PhD candidates and graduates, with rich experience in both research and teaching.
When and where?
September – December (1 x 2 hours per week, evening hours), CERGE-EI, Politických vězňů 7, Prague 1.
How to apply?
Registration is now open until June 23, 2019.